Friday, April 4, 2014

Blue Bird Flour Sack Doll

Em over at Em's Scarpbag decided to have a flour sack challenge because she had more flour sacks than she could use.  I decide I wanted to join in.  I spent several days looking on Pinterest and the web coming up with ideas of what I could do with the flour sack.

   This was the Final Result

Now you need to go over to Em's Scarpbag and vote for me in the upper right hand corner so that I can win fat 1/8 pack of 30's fabric.  I have fallen in love with the 30's fabric.  I want to make a mini quilt for the wall in front of my sewing machine where a picture from my grandfather hangs now.  That will only move higher, because my ancestors are my inspiration for quilting.  On to the tutorial.

I would search and I kept coming back to flour sack dolls.  My daughter had a hankie doll when she was little and I thought that if I used the sack front to make a cute skirt for the doll it would work out great.

Here are some pictures and steps to make the doll.  I can see flour sack coming in my future to make more dolls.  They are very easy and a lot of fun.  All of my supplies were taken right from my home.
 
 
I took some leftover batting and stuffed it in an 8" square piece of muslin.  I tied it off with a piece of ribbon.  I squished it around until it became what I thought would look like a head.
 
I cut the bag into two pieces the front and back.  The back I use to shape the body.  I rounded the corners on both sides.  The back I left unfinished.   I put the head in the top and middle of the backing.  Then took a blue ribbon and tied that around the head and flour sack to make it as one.  Then tied a small piece of ribbon on the right and left sides to make the arms.
 
On the front I rounded the corners.  Then I rolled hemmed the edges.  It gave it such a nice finish edge to the flour sack.  Then I sewed a 2 1/2" wide lace, that I had, around the edge.  It gave the feel of a skirt.  Then I folded the top down about an 1" to make a tube for the ribbon to pass through.  I tied the ribbon in a bow in the back.
 
I also sewed a piece of lace over the head to look like a bonnet.  It was very easy.  I had it complete finished in 2 hours.  I would love to make more of these.  I had everything on had.  The ribbons all matched the colors in flour sack, so it was very fun.
 




5 comments:

  1. That is so clever! Nice use of your feedsack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughters had Church dolls similar to these made out of hankies. I love that you used a flour sack to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is darling! Here is a tip for your photos - when you add them to your post, you can change the size to small, medium, large, XL - try a test to make them bigger and see what fits the design of your blog - I think going larger will really do your projects justice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know about the settings. I have played with them.

      Delete
  4. What a fun way to use a flour sack! You did a lovely job, she turned out great!

    Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete