Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What I did on Easter weekend

Because my family is getting smaller, we had a very quiet weekend.  I was able to spend some time getting things completed.  Thursday and Friday I didn't feel very good and was in a lot of pain.  I have been given the blessings of having Hashimoto's and Fibromyalgia.  Plus a back that is degenerating and has 4 discs that are either bulging or herniated in different areas of my spine.  But I just push myself, stay positive that way I only have 2 or 3 bad days a month.  Two years ago I was having 4 days a week that were bad.  Finding things that I truly love to do has really helped.  Plus I have found some groups that I enjoy belonging to.

So what did I do?


I finished the commissioned top that I was hired to complete.  This is also a quilt for my mother.  I decided that I wasn't going to push and make mistakes to get it entered into the HMQS show.  Maybe I'll put it in the county fair.  I’m also entering it into the Small Town Quilt Show in Midway, UT.  I want the quilt to be right.  It will be going on the long-arm tomorrow.  Here is a picture of the top.  It turned out great!


I also worked on my guild 3D mystery blocks.  There are several layers within theses blocks.  I am not sure that I really like doing these, but I will finish the quilt to say I learned something.  Learning something new is always a good thing.  One thing I learned is that open seams are not always a good idea.  The layers make it really difficult to press and they have a mind of their own.  When a seam is not pressed it will cause problems when you go to quilt it.  They say not to press 3D blocks, because you loose the 3D effect, but I don’t feel I have lost the look.  It also keeps the fabric from moving as you are sewing the blocks together.  So here are the blocks that I worked on.
 


Left to Right top row:  Feb Rolling Pinwheel, Mar Mosaic, Apr Christmas Star
Left to Right bottom row: Apr Hill and Valley, May Salem, May Square Star

It has been a lot of work.  I also spent a lot of time on the computer working on some new programs.  We are redesign the blog so look for that in the coming future.  My husband is doing most of the work there, and only can work on it on the weekends.

1 comment: